Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Starter Trunk Briefs

Starter is about as generic as brands get. This is actually a Walmart brand. Before you simply write these off, I’m going to suggest that they are worth looking into.
The material is a blend of 98% cotton and 2% spandex. Since this is a Walmart brand, don’t expect the softest cotton blend you’ve ever worn, but I personally don’t take issue with the softness of this underwear. It’s actually perfectly comfortable.
Something I found bizarre is that they come in odd color combinations. I’m not a huge fan of loud colors in underwear, so I found it kind of disappointing that all I could find were black/grey/red or black/grey/green combos. I know the classic black/grey/white combos do exist (see picture) but it seems to be hit or miss if you try and find these in stock in the store.
The fit was surprisingly comfortable. This is by no means a form-fitting pair of underwear, which I found to be refreshing. It offers a nice, relaxed fit, yet provides appropriate support. The legs retain their shape pretty well. At the end of the day, you may start to notice some looseness, but I’ve experienced worse with designer underwear.
The waistband is the only real draw-back. There isn’t any comfort lining on it, so at times it can be slightly irritating. For those that prefer the low-rise fit (I am one of those people), these actually sit in a comfortable place on the hip
The sizing is also something to take into consideration. I personally found that going a size down offered better support, but also resulted in a slightly tighter fit in the waist as well… although, it’s not as big of an issue as you might think it would be. Having said that, the size that I would normally wear felt comfortable and was perfectly wearable. At this point it’s just personal preference.
I actually don’t have many negative comments about this product. If you want a functional, comfortable pair of underwear that will get you through the day, I’d recommend these. For those of you who wouldn’t be caught dead in something so pedestrian, keep these around for everyday use and save those uncomfortable name brands for cruising the bars and hot club dates. Either way, you’ll find these in my rotation.

7 comments:

  1. These are VERY comfortable and, IMHO, VERY SOFT. Unfortunately, the Trunk style seems to have been discontinued. I have checked two stores and Walmart's website and only a few sizes remain. I wish I could find more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very comfortable, wear better and last better than Hanes or FOL, but can't find them anymore. I have been to multiple WalMarts. Its sad that good products can't be found and the crappy ones are in abundance. Hanes products last about 3 wears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best underwear...been looking for them..with no luck...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best underwear...been looking for them..with no luck...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have same issue. WHY O WHY did they discontinue these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me, some of the finest underwear available... These look to be the same as what Walmart used to carry but I haven't tried to order any yet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-Boxer-shorts-Grotts-Pack-Of-6-S-XL-4-Plain-Trunk-Underpants-Set-/201741117196?var=&hash=item2ef8b5270c:m:mbQN1ynmF0hg7ymbzuEKRzg

    They end up being about $6/pair delivered from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merely a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style.
    most comfortable boxers in the world

    ReplyDelete